Volunteer to Help Clients in Need
Every day, thousands of Minnesotans suffer needlessly from solvable legal problems. You can make a difference.
The Volunteer Attorney Program needs attorneys to help provide low-income members of the communities we serve access to our justice system through pro bono legal assistance.
Interested in volunteering? Please submit a Volunteer Information Form found here and we’ll gratefully be in touch to answer your questions and help determine the best way you could help clients in need through our program.
Volunteer attorneys are needed to do the following:
- Volunteer at our Ask an Attorney program legal advice clinics.
- Provide a phone advice to a client who lives too far a distance from an advice clinic.
- Provide brief assistance with completing and filing necessary paperwork.
- Provide brief assistance of review of paperwork and providing advice on next steps.
- Accept eligible civil legal cases for full representation.
- Mentor other attorneys on their pro bono cases.
What are the benefits to volunteering your time with the Volunteer Attorney Program:
- Knowing you are making a meaningful difference in someone’s life.
- VAP offers training, resource support and the opportunity to be matched with a more experienced mentor for your volunteer case.
- Access to lower cost or free CLE training opportunities, including to the most well attended trainings in the state – the Family Law Institute and the Bankruptcy Institute.
- Receive one (1) hour of standard CLE credit for every six (6) hours of pro bono legal services.
- VAP offers professional malpractice insurance for our volunteers.
*Attorney Portal coming soon!*