The Volunteer Attorney Program (VAP) connects income eligible individuals with private attorneys who provide pro bono legal assistance. VAP volunteer attorneys provide assistance for civil matters including:
- Consumer credit
- Criminal record expungement
- Family law
- Government benefits
- Real property
- Wills and estate planning cases
Please note, we do not provide attorneys to assist with criminal matters or fee generating matters, such as those involving a personal injury.
If you are interested in VAP services, please apply for assistance.
Apply by Phone
Our client intake phone lines are open:
Monday – Friday from 9am – 12pm
Apply in Person
Stop by the VAP office to apply in person. Our office is located in the Torrey Building of downtown Duluth.
314 West Superior Street
Duluth, MN 55802
Serving Northeastern Minnesota
VAP currently serves the following eleven counties: Aitkin, Carlton, Cass, Cook, Crow Wing, Itasca, Lake, Kanabec, Koochiching, Pine, and St. Louis. Please see our map to learn whether there is an Ask an Attorney close to you. If we do not currently offer an Ask an Attorney within 60 miles of you, we will talk with you about other options available to you through VAP.
Our Service Area
Counties We Serve
- Offering an Ask an Attorney Program every week at the SLC - Duluth Courthouse, and a Consumer Credit Advocacy Clinic monthly at the Gerald W. Heaney Federal Courthouse in Duluth. Please complete a new client intake to sign up for either of these programs.
- Offering an Ask an Attorney Program once a month at the SLC – Hibbing Courthouse.Please complete a new client intake to sign up.
- Offering an Ask an Attorney Program once a month at the SLC - Virginia Courthouse. Please complete a new client intake to sign up.
What is the Ask an Attorney Program?
Our Ask an Attorney Program gives people the opportunity to meet with a volunteer attorney to ask questions and discuss legal matters for approximately 15 minutes. We ask that you please bring any documents concerning your legal matter with you to this meeting. A volunteer attorney will help you determine the next best steps in your legal matter and will communicate those next steps to our office.We will contact you after your meeting with the volunteer attorney and let you know whether you may be eligible for further services through VAP. We ask that you respond to requests for documents as quickly as possible, so we can move swiftly on your case.
We are fortunate to work with an excellent group of volunteer attorneys. However, this also means that our resources fluctuate and can be limited at times. You remain responsible for your legal matter throughout our efforts to place your file with a volunteer attorney.